The Herstory of Ms. Grove!

The Blue and White had the privilege of getting to know Ms. Grove! She was recently nominated for Teacher of the Year. She was rewarded with balloons and cake. Ms. Grove’s goal was to become a teacher at Apopka due to her love of the community and people around her. She also says she can never picture herself in anything other than blue and white because that’s what she grew up in. A really close friend of hers, Ms. Shafer, informed her about a job opening at the school. With excitement, she took the job and is super happy she got the opportunity. Ms. Grove is also known for her famous raps and jokes. She feels that if she can put a smile on a kids face she has done her job for the day. She believes that the best way to grow a relationship with a student is filling them with laughter and making sure they feel loved and welcomed — Content or learning comes later. Ms. Grove also attended the University of Central Florida, go Knights! She went to this college because it was the only college she applied to! Apart from that, she loves FSU as well. When Ms. Grove is not in school, she is at home raising and having fun with her 1-year-old Harley and her “hubby.”

Why do you like rapping?

Because kids love it and it helps them relate the content. In high school I always wrote jingles for people on what they liked and I even did it for my parents and wrote silly stuff, so I feel like I’ve created a formula at this point to write raps.

Do you ever have any stress being a teacher?

Of course, there’s not enough time in a day to get everything that is required to get done. I love my job. I just wished there were like 40 hours in a day.

What is your favorite unit to teach?

World War ll. We do a simulation, where there are political leaders, military leaders and scientists, and they discuss whether or not we drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. They have to tell me, the President, if I should or should not drop the bomb. And its really eye opening because once we do drop the bomb, I then say every action has a consequence and I show the video of their skin melting off from the bomb and make it a real eye opener that everything comes with a consequence.

How would you describe your experience at Apopka High School?

It’s the only teaching job I have had at Apopka, but I’m also blessed because I live so close too. It was the school I graduated from. It’s cool having Ms. Houvouras and Mr. Houvouras here when I was here. A lot of teachers were here. So I have a lot of love and support here and it’s my community. So I love going to all the football games, all the events, all the extracurriculars. I try to go to one thing [each week] and I have always felt that Apopka has a greater sense of community than any high school in Orange County.

How did it feel to be nominated for Teacher of the Year?

I still can’t believe it. I’m blessed by all the support and love from my colleagues, but it’s still hard for me to wrap my head around because I feel like I don’t deserve it. Like I’m undeserving of it, but I’m very grateful.