Dr. Bray will see you now

She may not be the kind of doctor that the headline suggests, but that certainly doesn’t mean that Dr. Bray didn’t work just as hard. After all, twelve years of college is more than worthy of recognition. With the way that the pandemic has effectively disrupted the academic lives of almost every student at Apopka High School, it is understandable that there are people who don’t yet know about our new Assistant Principal of Instruction. Hopefully, this article will work to remedy that and allow people to get to know Dr. Bray.

For starters, have you always lived in Apopka? If not, where are you from?

I live in Waterford Lakes, on the far east side of Orlando.

Where did you go to school and when did you graduate?

I graduated from Seminole High School in 2007. I then went to UCF and earned four degrees while there, two bachelor degrees, a masters, and doctorate, all in education.

How did you like your time in college?

I clearly loved it to be there for twelve years! I am a life-long learner and believe one way to become a better educator is to continue to learn and focus on current topics related to education.

Were you always sure of the path that you wanted to take in college/your career? If not, when did you reach a decision?

I went into college as a forensic science major (CSI was very popular back then). However, once I saw the science and math classes I would have to take, I said no thanks. I took a semester of general education classes to figure out what I wanted to do. I have a love for geography/history and helping others, so landed on teaching.

If you weren’t already living here, why did you decide to work in Apopka?

The district places assistant principals and you can be moved at any time.

How are you feeling about your time here at the high school?

I love it! Apopka has such a strong sense of pride and a rich school culture.

How do you think your experience would have differed if you hadn’t joined the school during COVID?

I’d know what people look like! Coming in with everyone is masks has made it difficult for me to recognize teachers and students.

What have been some unique challenges within student services that have been presented by the pandemic in your first year here?

It’s been a constant back and forth of students returning face-to-face and going to LaunchEd. Tracking down students has been very difficult if they are home and not on campus. However, we remain committed to ensuring every Apopka High students walks across the graduation stage.

Do you have a favorite tv show or movie that you’d like to recommend?

I am a huge BRAVO junkie. I have about 2-3 hours a night “to myself” once I am home from work and just like to scroll on m my phone and let it play in the background.

Do you have any hobbies that you particularly enjoy?

I really enjoy going to the beach, reading, and hanging out with friends. I’m getting married this month, so I look forward to spending time as a new family!