Mason Makes His Mark

The Blue and White reached out to Junior Mason Unwin, a debate club and chorus member, and son of Ms.Unwin a pre-calculus teacher here at Apopka High school. We discussed how he manages his time and what motivates him to excel as a student.

Mason begins by explaining what drives him to continue to do his best in school. “I keep myself motivated by looking at the future and grasping what I need to do in order to get the best out of my life. I would be thanking my mom because she pushes me hard because she wants what’s best for me and will do whatever it takes to make sure that I succeed in life. I enjoy being a student at Apopka High School because it feels like my home away from home. I know that there are people at school who care about me and want what’s best for me.”

Some students tend to struggle with time management and fall into procrastination. Mason has some tips and tricks you might want to try this year. “I manage my time by understanding what things hold the most weight so that I can prioritize those things instead of wasting time on things that aren’t as important. I don’t have any hobbies outside of school due to all of the activities I participate in being school related. I am on the leadership team for the chorus department, which helps plan and organize events for the department. As well as leadership, I am doing Candlelight with chorus which holds rehearsal once a week for an hour or two. I am also on the debate team which has meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays until 3:30. I manage my time by taking about an hour after school to rest and regain the energy that I need to do the work for school. I plan on going to college to earn a bachelor’s degree in either journalism and statistics and trying to figure out what I want to do in life from there!” It sounds like Mason has a very fulfilling schedule and has taken the opportunity to indulge in many of our after-school activities.