Avec Madame Carder

Mrs. Carder is one of the French teachers here at Apopka. She teaches the French 2, 3, and AP classes. She has been working here since 2003. She enjoys reading novels, being outdoors, and doing things that do not involve a screen when not working. Her favorite thing about teaching French at Apopka is the students she has met while teaching. She loves the community because it is not too urban and not too rural. She described it as the perfect location. If you want to know more about Mrs. Carder and French, you should definitely consider taking French!

What year did you move from France to the U.S. and what was the most challenging part about it?

I moved from France in 2002. Everything is very challenging when you change countries, especially when the language is different. It requires a lot of determination and perseverance. Your family and friends are far away and so, you don’t have a support system that people who stay where they were born, have.

What are some interesting facts about you that people should know about?

Paragliding is on my bucket list. However, for now, I love watching them take off and land. The landing scares me the most.

What is your favorite French class/level to teach?

I really enjoy teaching all levels. All require a lot of preparation because students learning a language need a lot of guidance, repetition, and modeling. So, there is a structure that needs to be in place when they come through the door.

What do you enjoy most about being a teacher?

Each day is a new day. I also like to see the students’ reactions when they get something for the first time.

What are some of your most unforgettable childhood/adolescent memories?

Playing the English teacher. I was acting as an English teacher with imaginary students. The first English teacher I had in middle school really impressed me and at the time, I wanted to be just like her.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, all expenses paid, where would you go?

It’s hard to choose. I would select something that I would probably never buy on my own. Probably Bora Bora in the Pacific Ocean and lodge in an overwater bungalow with a see-through floor to see the fish/wildlife and especially the sea turtles.

What are your favorite foods?

I love all types of cuisine, especially Indian food.

Lasting comments?

Learning a foreign language has opened my eyes to the world. It has given me experiences that I would have never had otherwise.