The Top 10 of 2023

High school is a very important aspect to life. It’s where you go to learn and become the best you can be. A select few try to aim for the Top 10, which is what The Blue and White are discussing now. We talked to all 11 students who are placed in the top 10 about what made them maintain their spots, where they’ll go, and why they did it. This is the first time since 2016 that we’ve had 11 students in the top 10.

#1 Erika Nunez

What made you aim for the Top 10?

Initially, I didn’t aim for the top 10, I just took the classes that my siblings recommended for me. There was a class that I really didn’t like, and it was an honors class. I felt that we weren’t spending enough time learning. That was the moment that I decided I would only take AP Classes. I wanted to retain as much knowledge as I could from high school. I never really aimed for the top 10, it just kind of happened. If I had to pick a motivation to keep going, I would say it was finding out that top 10 would possibly get a class ring for free. That was definitely a deal-maker for me. And of course, getting into a good college.

What college do you plan on attending?

I plan on attending Yale University. I got accepted on December 15th and am officially committed. I’m visiting the campus April 24th-26th. I’m very excited to be a bulldog.

What would you say is the hardest part about maintaining Top 10 status?

The most difficult part about maintaining top 10 status is the need to take a certain set of high GPA classes like AP and Dual Enrollment. I only started Dual Enrollment this year with some math classes and chemistry. I would say it’s difficult to continue that determination to get A’s regardless of the workload. Also, it’s been harder with my job as a math tutor at Mathnasium, since I don’t have that much time to do homework. [It is] an endless cycle of school, work, and homework. I make sure to finish everything by the weekend, so I can have a lot of fun with friends during my free time.

#2 Anna La May

What made you aim for the Top 10?

I honestly hadn’t thought about it at all until the second semester of my junior year when I realized I was number 3. I thought, “Maybe I actually have a shot at this.” Then I became obsessed with becoming Salutatorian, mainly because I wanted to give a speech at graduation, so I upped my course load and continued to work on getting A’s. And alas, all my effort culminated in number 2 and now I can’t wait to give a speech! Overall, I feel everyone needs to have something they are working towards in order to have meaning in their life, and for me that was becoming Salutatorian. It kept me motivated and excited for the future and I am so grateful for that experience.

What college do you plan on attending?

I recently got accepted into UF, so at the moment that is my number one option. However, I am still waiting to hear from a few other schools before any decisions are made.

Not knowing whether I would be number two or three, whether the person in front of or behind me had a GPA that was close to mine or far away, and whether taking one more class would push me even further from them or wouldn’t be necessary. Other than that, the classes, and quantity of classes, weren’t really a challenge for me, just another necessary step towards my goal.

#3 Sean Javier

What made you aim for the Top 10?

My parents always held us to high standards, but in all honesty I didn’t really position myself throughout high school with top ten in mind. I just took classes that I thought would be challenging and worth my time, and I ended up in top ten. Of course I worked hard for it, but it wasn’t really the ultimate goal.

What college do you plan on attending?

I plan on attending the University of Florida.

I would say the hardest part of maintaining top ten status would be trying to balance your relationships, hobbies, interests, sports, etc. all while taking rigorous courses. In my personal opinion I managed that pretty well, and feel like somebody that was able to stay academically involved while also living life to the most when possible.

#4 Hridya Manoj

What made you aim for the Top 10?

I’ve always strived for straight A’s and loved taking higher-level courses, but I didn’t realize it would boost my class rank so much. I wasn’t planning on being in the Top 10 until I discovered in my junior year that I was ranked #5. Finding out that I was in the top 10 motivated me to be even more competitive to keep that Top 10 spot. I wanted the title and also the free class ring.

What college do you plan on attending?

I plan on attending the University of Florida so that I can pursue a degree in biomedical sciences in their pre-med program.

The hardest part about maintaining Top 10 status was the stress of dropping to #11 or anything right below. I felt constantly weighed down by the possibility of dropping from getting anything less than an A or not taking enough APs and dual enrollments. Procrastination was my biggest demon that led to me stressing over school work and I’m still learning how to control it.

#5 Hernika Fevrier

What made you aim for the Top 10?

Coming into high school, I was always fascinated with the idea of being in the Top 10 of my graduating class. But as the years had gone by, I never really established a goal to be in the Top 10. I simply challenged myself and worked hard all throughout my high school career. My hard work was rewarded with my current achievements.

What college do you plan on attending?

I have not made a definite decision of where I will be attending college but my top choice currently is the University of Florida.

The hardest part about maintaining the Top 10 status is having the discipline to balance both extracurricular activities and work with a rigorous academic workload. Time management is an essential skill to succeed in your classes while also doing things that you love outside of the classroom. 

#6 Reuben Prabhuraj

What made you aim for the Top 10?

I didn’t really aim for the top 10, to be honest I didn’t even know about the top 10 until recently.

What college do you plan on attending?

I’m not really sure what college I plan on attending, but maybe UF.

The hardest part about maintaining top 10 is taking a lot of rigorous courses and maintaining good grades.

#7 Elizabeth Smith

What made you aim for the Top 10?

What made me aim for the Top 10, was simply my determination. I spent all of my high school career perfecting everything I did no matter how long it took because I knew the work I put in would pay off.

What college do you plan on attending?

In my opinion, the hardest part about maintaining the Top 10 status was worrying about somebody taking my place after all the hard work I had put in these last four years.

#8 Carter Braun

What made you aim for the Top 10?

If I’m being honest, I never really aimed for the top ten. I wasn’t in the top ten until this semester, so it came as a surprise for me.

What college do you plan on attending?

I’m planning on attending UF, and I just got accepted on February 24th.

The hardest part about maintaining top ten status of a high GPA in general is the pressure to get all A’s. No matter how many AP classes you take, if you get a B or two, that’ll drop your rank pretty drastically with how close and competitive the higher ranks are. Also, having to take lots of AP classes in general is certainly difficult and takes up a lot of my time.

#8 Louis Correa

What made you aim for the Top 10?

My desire for success pushed me to reach for top ten.

What college do you plan on attending?

I plan on attending University of Florida.

The hardest part about maintaining top 10 is keeping up with school while spending time in my community and with my family/friends.

#9 Amara Thompson

What made you aim for the Top 10?

My parents are my biggest fans and have always pushed me towards success through education. I hope to continue making them proud.

What college do you plan on attending?

I’m excited to attend the University of Florida this fall!

The hardest part can be managing mental health with staying on top of my grades. There were times where I just felt like doing nothing ever, but I have a good support system that has my back.

#10 Lyndyn Warren

What made you aim for the Top 10?

I realized that I was doing really well in my high school courses, even those I took in middle school, so I deemed top 10 as a great goal to reach for.  

What college do you plan on attending?

I plan to attend the University of Florida. GO GATORS!

Maintaining the will and motivation to keep going when senior year hits is probably the greatest struggle. Senioritis is real and it can make you slip easily.

These are Apopka’s finest students of 2023. The Blue and White wishes them the best on the rest of their journey.