Black Excellence Showcase

On Wednesday February 16th, our very own Minority Leadership Scholars presented their 3rd annual Black Excellence Showcase. This event was the 3rd event featured in the Black History Month week. On Monday, there was a poetry slam during A and B lunch and on Tuesday there was a mini college fair during both A and B lunch. This year’s showcase was one for the ages as it featured performances from schools all across Orange County.

Our Minority Leadership Scholars worked very hard in planning this showcase coming at the hands of president Johnny Simmons and sponsor Marcia Owens. But these two were not the only ones who played a role in the creation of this event. Members of the groups leadership team such as Taylor Adams, Michaela Moss, Asia Hightower, and Jordan Carter helped put this event together. They also received some aid from our amazing AHS staff including Mrs. Richard, Mr. Morphew, Mr. Heinz, and many others.

Some big names in the Central Florida Area were in attendance for this event such as Apopka mayor Brian Nelson, Commissioner Alexander Smith, and principals and APs from schools such as Phillis Wheatley Elementary, Ocoee High School, and Jones High School.

The event was hosted by MLS’s very own sophomore Joshua Washington
Combined performance by Apopka HS, Jones HS, and Phillis Wheatley Elementary choirs

Second of two performances done by the Wolf Lake Middle School dance team

One of two performances done by the Wolf Lake Middle School dance team
Performance by the drum line of Evans High School
Rendition of Alicia Keys “If I Ain’t Got You” by Carol Beaumont
Performance by Ocoee High School Stomp and Shake Team

The talent showcased by the performers was second to none in this highly anticipated annual showcase. Reactions from those in attendance gave way to the success of the event and showed what it can look like when you bring people together to celebrate black excellence. This is definitely not the last time you will see this event hosted by our school and its Minority Leadership Scholars, and it’s only going to get better.