The Fairest of Them All: Mr. Fairchild

Ashley Ferencsik, Staff Writer

Mr. Fairchild–a new face at Apopka High School–has just started his second year here during the 2020-2021 school year. He teaches Medical Interventions, the third-year class of the Medical Magnet Program and has already gained favoritism by both his past and present students. Although he hasn’t been here long, he is bound to achieve greater success in his coming years.

What class do you teach?

I teach Medical Interventions. This is a course designed by Project Lead the Way. It is part of the Medical Magnet Program at Apopka High School. In this course, students follow the life of a fictional family investigating the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease. They study real-world cases as well as interventions and careers related to immunology, surgery, genetics, pharmacology, medical devices, and diagnostics.

How long have you been teaching at Apopka?

​I have just begun my second year as a teacher at Apopka High School. I look forward to many more!

How has your experience been at Apopka thus far?

​I absolutely love my experience at Apopka. I have never enjoyed a job as much as this one. The students are great, the curriculum is engaging, and every day is different and interesting. My coworkers were very supportive in orienting me last year and continue to be a positive influence in my life. With the current pandemic, we have all had to make some changes, but Mr. Heinz, Ms. Ryan, and the other members of Admin have been very supportive.

Do you have any advice for students that may take your class next year?

Some advice for students next year is to get ready for a different kind of course. Medical Interventions is by design, an activity class. It is designed to teach students through performing activities, labs, research, and group discussions. This is a course where the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

What do you feel is the most rewarding part about teaching?

In Medical Interventions, there are many complex real world technologies like an ELISA test or CRISPR that we go over. ​I feel that the most rewarding part of teaching is seeing the students have their “eureka moment” when they finally realize they understand how one of these systems work.

What are some hobbies you do during your free time?

​I have quite a few hobbies during my free time! I breed cherry shrimp (Neocaridina davidi). I make jarrariums, which are enclosed ecosystems in a jar. I go hiking/camping in state and out of state when I have the time. I have quite a few bonsai trees that I have taken care of for many years. I also play a number of video games including League of Legends (in which I have been hardstuck Silver rank since Season 3).