New SGA Sheriffs in Town

As we all know towards the end of every school year is SGA election season. This year, we had 29 people running for seven positions. There was a record 1000+ votes cast by 9th, 10th, and 11th graders at our school. Even though we had some seniors and a teacher try to vote, all of those were filtered out before the final results were calculated. The seven positions on the ballot were President, Vice President, Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff, Chief Financial Officer, Deputy of Communications, and Deputy Director of Communications. We are able to get in touch with some of the winners and get their thoughts on the election. Below you will see their direct responses to our questions.

SGA President Taliyah James-Bristol

What made you decide to run?

I decided to run to cater to my school community, challenge myself, as well as to elevate my social skills. Many people don’t know about me, but I’m a little timid when it comes to talking to people that I am familiar with leadership roles. This election process has impacted me in a positive manner by shifting me out of my comfort zone.

What are your plans for SGA next year?

My goal for next year is to have more of the student body involved in SGA related activities. I would like for all students at Apopka High School to feel welcomed and unafraid to open up and enjoy their time here at Apopka. Once we leave high school we will be transitioning into adulthood and taking on a wealth of responsibilities. The activities facilitated by SGA will allow for some fun by will also build and enhance the skills that we will be able to utilize once we enter the college and career arena of our lives.

What are you looking forward to most for next year?

I’m looking forward to spirit week. Spirit week is a great opportunity to bridge the relationship between all students, faculty, and staff members alike.  I think that’s when I’ve seen the school come together the most to just have fun and enjoy each other as a whole.

What events do you have planned for next year?

Next year we will have our homecoming event, dodgeball, 3 cinemas under the stars, as well as many others. I have a special event that I am personally planning. It is a surprise so unfortunately I am unable to provide you with the details. I think it’s going to be a big hit next year and I hope that all of the students will enjoy it.

How do you feel about winning?

I feel proud of myself for having the faith to step out on a limb and take on such a huge task of representing the student body. I am also very proud my fellow leaders, the officers, who will be taking this journey with me next year. Most importantly, I am truly honored and grateful to the student body for trusting and believing that that I would represent us well.

SGA Vice President Allyson Crighton

What made you decide to run?

I decided to run for the SGA Vice President position because I am certain in my abilities to make a positive addition and be a honorable and reliable leader. I possess the qualities of approachability, empathy, integrity, hardworking, great communication, and creativity. I have great confidence in the characteristics that I encompass and the contributions I can bring to our Student Government, as a voice of you all.

What are your plans for SGA next year? 

For next year of SGA, I plan to construct a platform that will grant students access to share their suggestions and unique ideas for our school easily. I will try my best to embrace and acknowledge the diversity of our students, which will help to make next years SGA activities more enjoyable and attract a broader variety of students. For example, I will ensure that spirit week themes and homecoming music will take contributions from students. As your Student Government, we wish to encourage happy Blue Darters who feel included and are excited to participate!

Since SGA promotes various enjoyable activities, it is hard to pick one that I am looking forward to the “most.” However, I am extremely excited for the spirit week and homecoming that is placed in the hands of SGA. With a week full of school spirit, fun activities, and an exciting football game, I will be even more proud to be included in the Blue Darter family. Since I will be a senior next year, I plan to cherish every moment more than ever before, and I hope you will too!

As a previous member and now Vice President of SGA, I am thrilled to continue the amazing activities we have been part of. The events planned for next year include Cinema Under the Stars, Dodgeball, Powderpuff, Homecoming, Apopka Parade, and many more! Additionally, I am determined to work with my team of officers to propose new ideas for enjoyable activities for students that can be continued beyond our term.

How do you feel about winning?

I am very grateful to have been selected by many students to be Vice President of SGA. Those who selected me trusted that I will represent them and embrace the diversity that falls within our students, and I will not let them down. I am confident that this acknowledgment will in fact unify us as Blue Darters. I have hope that us officers will make history in Apopka High School and leave our marks as amazing and capable leaders.

SGA Chief of Staff Michai Whiting

What made you decide to run?

I decided to run for SGA Chief of Staff with the fact I was inspired by the former President and Vice President of SGA last year, Kameron and Taylor. I was encouraged to join and I took that opportunity to see what this association was like. When I joined I felt like I could do so much for the students and bring the association to the next level with a lot more communities.

What are your plans for next year? 

I’m so thrilled for next year because I plan on inputting more on what the students would like to make a better high school experience! Bringing more real life opportunities to those who haven’t been exposed or even just taking input from students themselves to see what they need or want from a club of unity.

I definitely look forward to bringing us all together. Seeing what the students of Apopka have to offer is exciting, to see what I can do for them.

How do you feel about winning?

I feel so honored and grateful that the students gave me the opportunity to show them I won’t let them down. I know that with this being the first all minority student council that itself has so much power in it and I’m glad my name is attached to it. Thank you Darters, for giving me your trust for the school year of 2022-2023.

Deputy Chief of Staff Jailah Dudley

What made you decide to run?

What made me decide to run was that I wanted to get more involved in this organization for my senior year

What are your plans for SGA next year?

My plans are to be able to get the student body’s intake on some of the things we do so they feel included

I am looking forward to working with the rest of our new officers

Some events I have planned are some spirit week ideas that I think the student body would like.

How do you feel about winning?

I feel really honored and thankful because this is something I was really looking forward to.

Chief Financial Officer Mia Miller

What made you decide to run?
Why I have decided to run is because I wanted to be more involved in the school, and to help have my input for the school for many events.
What are your plans for SGA next year?
My plans for SGA next year are to make homecoming something everyone can enjoy and to help out with new events for SGA next year.
What I am looking forward too most for next year is working with the different officers and getting to know everyone.
How do you feel about winning? 
I am very happy and excited that my fellows wanted me and voted me for this position.

SGA Director of Communications Zaniya Vincent

What made you decide to run?

I decided to run in the elections because I felt as though I could make a difference in our school. I want the students to know that they are heard and seen. I ran to expand awareness of everyone having a voice and using my voice as their voice.

What are your plans for SGA next year?

My plans for next year’s SGA is to show diversity and inclusion. I want the whole student body to be able to inspire each other to be able to stand for what they believe in, and make that change they want come to life.

I am looking forward to seeing what all the students have to say about the new things me and the amazing ladies that stand beside me have planned to bring to the table. I am looking forward to showing that the direction of communication can make the student body compelled. I am looking forward to implementing our school crest in my agenda.

Well of course we are going to do all the original things SGA does. But I think that doing a Class colors day, Class competition day, Scavenger hunts, and different activities that each student can show who they are and be themselves.

How do you feel about winning?

Being overjoyed and excited is an understatement. I am ready to show that I can make change. I now know that I have the student body behind me and with their help I can make changes in our school.

SGA Deputy Director of Communication Michaela Moss

What made you decide to run?

I ran because I wanted to increase my participation on campus.

What are your plans for SGA next year?

I don’t have any specific ideas for next year but I do plan to be of assistance to the group in anyway I can.

I’m looking forward to having an popular to make more of the student body feel included in SGA activities.

Well first and foremost I’m really excited to help plan homecoming and spirit week. Next year we’re also going to have more dodgeball tournaments and movies on the field so I’m looking forward to see how much better we get at running those activities the second time around.

How do you feel about winning?

I’m pretty excited that I won, but more than anything I’m very appreciative of  everyone who voted for me.

Now that you know a little bit about next year’s SGA officers, you should have some insight about what is to come for next year. Needless to say, it will be a year that we won’t forget and I hope you all are looking forward to.